I just realized that it’s been awhile since I’ve been on a wedding train. Haba!! I have to start praying for all my single family members and friends to start getting married ASAP! Lol… But seriously I love all the wedding hype. I want a big wedding with all the lace trimmings and grand carriage. Yeah, Yeah, I know the wedding lasts a day while marriage is a lifetime. A girl is free to dream right? So lemme be.
Anyways I want the wedding bells to start ringing so that I can enjoy being a bridesmaid (hopefully a chief bridesmaid too) while awaiting my big day. Like every other job, being a bridesmaid has a few pitfalls. Here is my list of some of them;
1. You can’t eat and drink as much as you’d loved to because of your “exposed” seat location way up front.
2. You have to plaster a smile throughout the day (or else people will think you are jealous of the bride)
3. You have to walk around in ridiculously high/uncomfortable shoes
4. You have to smile persistently for cameras
5. Keep reminding family members that you are not searching for the one so they should quit introducing you to “eligible” sons of Mr. this and Mrs. That
6. You have to either attempt to catch the bouquet or pretend to do so (I personally hate all the pushing and shoving in an attempt to catch flowers)
7. You have to buy or get a dress you mostly likely never wear after that day.
8. You have to dance in public (although for some people this is an advantage)
But asides from all that, there are so many reasons to look forward to being a bridesmaid again and again…
1. You get to have a front row pick of bachelors (that’s if you are searching)
2. You get a good view of the couple and all the wedding traipsing and entertainment
3. Gives you a good reason to dress up and act ladylike
4. Acquisition of new clothes and shoes (in my opinion anything that makes you get new clothes and shoes is a good thing ;)!)
5. The joy of seeing a friend/cousin say ‘I do’
6. The feeling of importance and prestige attached to the role
7. You get to share in the lime light and paparazzi
8. You play a part (although minor) in the making the big day
9. You contribute to the success and beauty of another person’s wedding (thus subscribing for the same on your day)
10. You get lovely souvenirs or sometimes ridiculous ones ( guess what….I got a matchbox once)
"Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready." (Revelation 19:7 ESV)